12 Reasons Why You Could Be Losing Your Hair
Written by Carly Walker
Some people were born with thick, luxurious hair, and others were born with fine hair. But if you have noticed your hair thinning, there are reasons why it is happening.
Some of these reasons include:
- Too much hair styling
- Brushing hair when it’s wet
We lose hair everyday, and according to dermatologist Rebecca Kazin ‘On average, we lose 50-100 hairs a day.’ She adds ‘This is all normal and part of the natural growth cycle. When hair loss becomes more noticeable, it may be time to seek professional help to determine the underlying causes.’
It could be simple styling mistakes you’re making, or something medical. Check out 12 reasons why you could be losing your hair.
1. The first reason why you could be losing your hair is if you are using a plastic or artificial brush. Dr Kazin says ‘Plastic or artificial brushes can be aggressive with your hair and scalp.’ She adds ‘ A natural brush will help limit damage.’
2. You could experience hair loss if you are skipping conditioner. Dr Kazin explains ‘Conditioners help restore the natural oils that are removed from the hair and scalp during the washing process.’ She says ‘A nourishing conditioner will help soften and strengthen your hair’ and she advises using a protein-based formula, and avoiding sulfates.
3. Too much hair styling can cause your hair to fall out. Medical director of True & Dorin Medical Group, Robert Dorin says ‘Our daily routines and hair treatment regimens can cause hair loss. Although not all of this is true hair loss but rather breakage of hair strands resulting in less volume, pulling and traction on the hair itself can actually cause the follicles to be killed if done on a continual basis.’
4. Something else that can cause hair loss is brushing your hair when it’s wet. Hair is most fragile when it is wet because the protective cuticle is raised slightly. Dr Dorin says ‘Brushing your hair in the shower followed by aggressive towel-drying is a recipe for breakage.’ He suggests brushing your hair before you shower, and instead of vigorously towel drying your hair, use a microfibre towel and gently pat your hair with it.
Click ‘NEXT PAGE’ to read about more reasons for hair loss. Let us know in the comments below and SHARE this with your Facebook friends.