The human body is a fascinating phenomenon. Although we all belong to the same species, some unique features make us radically different from each other. If you want to grasp the diversity of the human body, just look at photos of some outstanding athletes, such as Shaquille O’Neal, Simone Biles, Aaron Durley, Stefan Struve, and Demetrious Johnson.
These examples show incredible differences in overall size. But what about people who have parts that are much bigger than average? It’s incredible to see the variance in the human body in such specific ways.
Here are some of the biggest body parts in the world, including a few record-breakers:
1. Radhakant Baijpai has the longest ear hair in the world. In 2003, he was crowned the Guinness record holder for longest ear hair. Since then, it has continued to grow and is now almost 10 inches long.
2. The biggest hand in the world belongs to Liu Hua, and it did for many years until he underwent massive surgery to remove much of the excess in flesh and bone. He suffers from macrodactyly, a form of gigantism.
3. Though she doesn’t qualify as the world’s tallest woman, Svetlana Pankratova does have the longest legs in the world. They measure almost 52 inches, or over 4.3 feet. Pankratova holds the record for the highest amount of shots blocked while she played for the Virginia Commonwealth University basketball team.
4. The biggest ear tunnels go to Kalawelo Kaiwi, which has over four-inch wide holes. They are big enough to fit a clenched fist through—unless you’re Hua, of course.
5. Devendra Suthar has the most digits seen in any living person, with 28 fingers and toes. He’s a carpenter in India. I’m sure many other woodworkers could use an extra finger or two to hold the nails.
6. Vijay Kumar has the most teeth in a human mouth, with an amazing five extra jammed in his mouth. He probably keeps a toothbrush on him at all times to keep them that pearly white.
7. The biggest feet in the world belong to Jeison Rodriguez, coming in at more than 15 inches long. The 7’3 teenager needs special shoes that are only made in Germany.
8. Lee Redmond had the longest fingernails in the world. She held the record for a long time at 28 feet but sadly lost them in a car accident in 2009.
9. You think you’ve got a big nose? Well, just ask Mehmet Özyürek from Turkey what it feels like to have the world’s largest. His schnoz checks in at almost 3.5 inches from bridge to tip.
10. Francisco Joaquim has the widest (unstretched) mouth in the world and can fit a full Coke can inside it.
11. Though her eyes aren’t actually the biggest, Kim Goodman holds the record for the biggest eye-pop. She can push her peepers out almost half an inch.
12. Xie Qiuping has the longest hair in the world at over 18 feet. She has been growing it since she was 13.
13. For another hairstyle, Aevin Dugas holds the record for the biggest afro. Her hair has a circumference of almost 4.5 feet. She’s a model known for her massive locks.
14. The biggest mustache doesn’t, in fact, go to Burt Reynolds but to Ram Singh Chauhan, an Indian man who has grown it to 14 feet long.
15. Not the biggest, but definitely an amazing record. Cathie Jung has used corsets for years and now has the world’s smallest waist at only 15 inches.
16. The world’s stretchiest skin is an odd record to hold, but one that goes to Garry Turner of the UK.
17. Gene Simmons: eat your heart out. Nick Stoeberl has the longest tongue in the world, measuring almost four inches from the tip to his closed lips.
18. Sain Mumtaz has an incredibly large head thought to be caused by Proteus syndrome, the same disease that affected Joseph Merrick.
19. The longest extension of the human neck is 15.75 inches. It is not assigned to an individual but rather to the tribes of Padaung and Kareni in Myanmar.
20. There is some debate over who has the biggest biceps in the world, but Gregg Valentino is definitely a worthy contestant. His 28-inch pythons can curl a reported 300 pounds.
When we talk about the largest organs of the body, we classify them by weight and length. The biggest organs in our body are responsible for multiple functions and can be easily seen.
The ten largest organs in the human body are the skin, the liver, the brain, the lungs, the heart, the kidneys, the spleen, the pancreas, the thyroid gland, and the joints. Let’s go through the primary features of these organs.
The skin is the largest external organ in our bodies, which constitutes around 16% of the overall human body mass. By covering our entire body, the skin acts as a protective barrier from the outside environment.
With an approximate mass of 3-3.5 pounds, the liver is the biggest internal organ. Its vital role in 500 different metabolic functions makes it the most diverse and complex body organ. This organ is located beneath the lungs and rib cage in the upper right abdominal area.
The human brain makes up around 2% of the complete body mass, weighing around 3 pounds. This vital human organ controls most aspects of our functioning, including cognitive capacities and psychological functions.
Based on their weight and storage capacity, the lungs are the largest part of our respiratory system and one of the largest organs in general. With a total mass of 2.45 pounds, a healthy human lung can hold 4-6 liters of air.
With an approximate size of a closed fist or two hands clutched together, the heart is one of the essential, life-sustaining organs in our body. During its lifetime, the human heart pumps approximately 1.5 million barrels of blood, which could fill around 200 train tank cars.
The kidneys are a pair of bean-shaped organs with the size of a fist. They are located on each side of the spine, below the rib cage. An average human kidney is 4-4.7 inches (10-12 centimeters) long. These organs filter around a half cup of blood a minute, eliminating extra water and wastes and turning them into urine.
The spleen is the biggest lymphatic organ in the human body. This organ consists of two types of tissue (red pulp and white pulp), and its connective tissue capsule divides it into lobules.
Weighing around 50-125g and 15-22cm long, the pancreas plays a vital role in the endocrine and exocrine glandular system.
The thyroid gland is the largest and most important endocrine gland in our body. This butterfly-shaped organ is located in the front part of the neck below the thyroid cartilage. It weighs around 10-20 grams and is 4-4.8 centimeters long.
The crucial joints in the human body, including the ones in the shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, and ankles, are among the largest body parts. They are freely movable and full of synovial fluid, acting as a lubricant and allowing us to move easily.