Everyone has a story, and we do each other a disservice when we only pay attention to our own. With that in mind, here’s a collection of photos starting with a look at traditional irezumi and ending with a shot of Bernie Sanders when he served as Mayor in 1989. Enjoy!
1. This photo was taken in 1875, and it shows a Japanese man with traditional irezumi--an art form of tattoos in Japan-- on his back. This type of ink is often associated with Japan’s organized crime syndicate.
2. This iconic photo was taken on July 1888, and it shows the Eiffel Tower during construction. The tower was finished a year later and it was initially criticized by some of France’s leading artists and intellectuals for its design. The tower is the tallest structure in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world. It is 324 meters tall and about the same height as an 81-storey building.
3. This photo was taken in 1899, and it shows The Dewey Arch in Madison Square celebrating the victory in the Battle of Manila Bay, Philippines. Unfortunately, it began to deteriorate soon after it was built and had to be demolished in 1900 after funds to rebuild a stronger version could not be raised.
4. As it says in the upper right corner, this photo is of Andre Grapperon, a French champion motorcyclist. The picture was taken in 1913. As it says in the upper right corner, this photo is of Andre Grapperon, a French champion motorcyclist. The picture was taken in 1913.
5. This picture was taken in 1946 in Romania, where people thought bears could help heal rheumatism. It was clear that the woman was having a good time as she can be seen smiling at the camera. Can you imagine how much pain she should’ve been in to be glad that a bear was sitting on her back?
6. This was October 20, 1939. Factory representative J.J. Hickey was demonstrating an electrical shave on Ted Budrodeen at a Mick Simmons store in Sydney.
7. This picture, taken in 1953, shows American writer Ernest Hemingway posing with a cape buffalo on a visit to Africa. Hemingway went on Safari to Africa, where he was almost killed in two successive plane crashes that left him in pain for much of his remaining life.
8. This was taken on August 5, 1959, and it shows Russian attendees examining television sets and radios at the USSR Exhibition in Moscow. This exhibition competed with the American National Exhibition next door.
9. This photo shows the largest IKEA store in the world in 1965 in Kungens Kurva, Sweden. However, this store is currently the second largest in the world. The first place belongs to a 640,000 sq ft store in Gwangmyeong, South Korea. The third largest IKEA store is in Shanghai Baoshan, China. The fourth is in Shanghai Pudong Beicai, China and the fifth is also in China but in Wuxi.
10. This pic was taken in 1989 and it shows Bernie Sanders, a candidate for this year’s presidential election when he served as Burlington Mayor. He is with Jessie Jackson. Sanders had endorsed him for president in the 1988 election.